Innisfil Historical Society



Pages

"Bird Haven"
Photo of Charles "Charlie" Keyworth Sutton's Bird Haven. Mr. Sutton, a cabinet maker born in Walkerton Ontario on 5 August 1896, along with his wife Victoria Sidle, purchased part of lot 16, concession 4 Innisfil from George and Marjorie Constable on 26 September 1934 for $150. The picture shows the main dwelling at "Bird Haven". This structure was rebuilt from the Zion Hall, which stood just south of Fennell's Corners on Highway 11. Around the perimeter of the property were tourist cabins, which were the forerunners of modern day motels. Mr. Sutton obtained logs for the cabins by walking over two miles to the swampy area of the seventh line. Here he cut all the cedar logs required to build the cabins and construct the furniture including beds, wash stands and bookcases. His wife made the quilts for the beds. Many American tourists, as well as Canadian, patronized both the tourist cabin business as well as buying bird houses, lawn furniture and lawn ornaments - all hand made by Mr. Sutton. In later years more buildings were added. Charles Sutton sold the land back to George Constable on 18 September 1951 and then moved to Newmarket where he operated a chicken farming/processing operation for a short time until he sold the business, moved to Toronto, and then to Colborne, Ontario where he died in 1974. The Bird Haven business was sold and operated under the name John Peel Inn, owned by a Mr. Cropley. In 1990 the property was in possession of the Hill family. Much of the preceding information was provided by Bill Warnica in June 2018., IHS3776
"The Pines" - Residence of Walter Corner
Photo of Walter Corner's house located at the end of Church Street in Lefroy, which burned down c. 1956. Originally known as "the Pines," it was built by "Squire" Henry Gross, according to D.M. Lemmon. The property was originally 1040 acres and the house had fifteen rooms as well as a brick furnace for central heating. It also had a maid's section and sometimes served as a courthouse. There was a sawmill on the property, just downhill from the house. Walter Corner owned the house and 200 acres from 1920. The house was white with a cross gable roof and decorative gable trim. The names of the family members or friends standing near the verandah are unknown. Mr. and Mrs. Walter Corner had ten children: twins John and Joe, Emily, Dick, Walter, Mary Anne, Elizabeth, Dorothy, Roland, and Frank. Their farm supplied milk to the surrounding community as well as some of the small hotels along the shores of Lake Simcoe. Additional information about the Corner Family has kindly been provided by granddaughter Lorraine Mitchell., IHS473
1897 Barn on the 8th Line
Photo from 1920 of one of the largest barns, in terms of square footage in Innisfil. Originally built in 1897 under the direction of owner William J. Goodfellow. It burned down on 4th January, 1982. The image shows the barn to the right, with a small outbuilding in the centre, and the farmhouse is mostly concealed by trees., IHS3337
1919 - Curling Team with Trophy
Photo of the 1919 Curling team with either the District or Governor General Trophy. Pictured from left to right, back row: Oswald Black, Tom Hissock, Russell Webb, Arthur Green, and Dave McArthur. Front Row: Rev. William Clements, Robert Sutherland, and Benjamin Webb. The eight men are all dressed formally in suits with five standing in a row behind three seated men. Rev. Clements and Mr. Webb are each holding a broom, and the trophy is on the floor in front of Mr. Sutherland. Two rocks flank either side of the trophy., IHS1576
1985 Santa Claus Parade
Photograph taken at the 1985 Santa Claus Parade. On the left of the image is a woman wearing a blue coat, tiara and sash that legible reads "COOKSTOWN". On the right of the image, is someone dressed as Santa Claus.
1986 Cookstown Fair
Colour photo taken at the 1986 Cookstown Fair of a group of men concentrating on the dedication ceremony of the Cookstown Fairgrounds' Judges stand to the Hon. Earl Rowe. The 1986 Cookstown Fair was also significant in that it was officially opened by Lieutenant Governor Lincoln Alexander. The men leaning on the hood of the green pickup truck are: [From left to right] unknown, Peter Staniforth, Hugh Burkitt, Ian Hattle, and unknown.
1987 Annual General Meeting - Innisfil Credit Union Ltd.
This photograph was taken at the 1987 Annual General Meeting. At this meeting a change of name was ratified by the members and the word "Farmers" was officially removed from Innisfil (Farmer's) Credit Union Ltd.. Don Beatty was the chairperson of the "Name Change" Committee. Standing, [left] Mervin B. Wice, [right] Lloyd Cumming, seated Edna Cumming. Past and present Treasurers of the Innisfil (Farmers') Credit Union Ltd., IHS3945
1990 Cookstown Fair
Image taken at the 1990 Cookstown Fair with six young children, all dressed in white, with their calves preparing to enter a competition. The children are no more than 10 years old and except for one brown calf, the calves are all black and white. The child on the far right is Max Lupo, and the calf next to him is name Dorris.
1990 Santa Claus Parade
1990 Santa Claus Parade, Cooktown. In this colour photograph there are two people standing in front of a float. The float is decorated as a house with Santa Claus on the roof, in his sleigh with reindeer. The person on the left of the image is a woman wearing what appears to be a grey and black cardigan. The person on the right of the image appears to be a male police officer in uniform.
1991 Cookstown Fair
Photo taken during the 1991 Cookstown Fair showing three men riding in the front seat of a wagon, drawn by two light coloured draft horses in front of a long dome shaped exhibition building.
1991 Cookstown Women's Institute Members
Coloured photograph showed members of the 1991 Cookstown Women's Institute, that attended the meeting. There are two rows of women: six in the back standing, and four in the front seated. Back Row (L to R)- Delilah (Dell) Evans, Florence Ley, Olive Parker, Stella Webster, Cissie Sharp, Joan McLean. Front Row - Muriel Smith, Anne Monkman, Hazel Trotter (d.1993), Eva Carter.
1991 Santa Claus Parade
Image taken at 1991 Santa Claus Parade.The image shows a float that is being pulled by a transport truck. The float is decorated as Santa Claus' sleight, and appears to be pulled by reindeers.
25 Year Gift Presentation
Mrs. Anne Monkman presenting 25 year gifts to Women's Institute members Mrs. Hazel Trotter, Mrs. Muriel Smith, Mrs. Alice Baker, Mrs. Lizzie Donnell, Mrs. Monkman (in the red dress) Mrs. Keatha Riley and Mrs. Olive Parker, in 1977.
25th Wedding Anniversary of Thomas & Jennie Donelly
This photo was taken on the occasion of Thomas and Jennie Donnelly's twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. They were married in 1909. Pictured from left to right - Front Row: Byard Donnelly, who later joined the Toronto Fire Dept., Jennie Donnelly (mother), Mary Donnelly (youngest daughter), and Thomas Donnelly (father). Back Row: Harvey Donnelly, Kathleen Donnelly, Wray Donnelly, Dora Donnelly, May (Reive) Donnelly, Zella Donnelly, Francis Donnelly, and Edith Donnelly. Francis and Byard were both in World War II - Francis was in Engineers and Byard was in the Navy. Wray Donnelly worked in the mines in Sudbury. Mrs. May Reive was a nurse and graduated from Soldiers' Memorial Hospital in Orillia., IHS585
30 Year Volunteer Service Award - Ross Wallace
The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Eric Hoskins, and MPP Aileen Carroll present Ross Wallace a 30 Year Volunteer Service Award for long time dedication to the Innisfil Historical Society. The three people tend in front of a sign dedicated to Ontario Volunteers. [L-R] Eric Hoskins, Ross Wallace, Aileen Carroll., IHS4290
320 Killarney Beach Road
Image of the historic house located at 320, Killarney Beach Road, Lefroy. This house got a telephone switchboard when moved from store (Ardill's) before First World War., IHS488
321Killarney Beach Road
Former Ralston home 321 Killarney Beach Road - housed the telephone switchboard after it was moved from 320 Killarney Beach Road - Mary Ralston. Prior to First World War Ross Ardill took over managerial duties from his father, J.F. Ardill. The next year Walter Ralston became local manager (at 320) then moved to 321 Killarney Beach Road. Innisfil Telephone Co. Lefroy Telephone, IHS490
35th Regimental Band 1908
The 35th Regimental Band 1908, Thornton. The Band members can be seen posed for the image, wearing their official uniforms and holding their instruments where possible. Officers: Honorary President (J.A. Corbett not in this picture), Fred Tomlinson, lst Vice President Alex Stewart, 2nd Vice President Bert Ayerst, (not in this picture), Musical Director Robert Lennox, Secretary J.A. Stewart, Treasurer Harcourt Blackstock; Back row left to right: Fred Tomlinson, Alex Stewart. Second row left to right: Fred Nixon, Wilfred T. Hill, Melville H. Corbett, M. Lewis, R. Stewart, Sam J. Maiel, John A. Stewart, J. Frank Ayerst, Jim M. Speers; Third Row left to right: Richard Livingston, Harrison Ayerst, Wesley B.N. Banting, Robert Lennox, William J. Coburn, Harcourt Blackstock, Robert D. Henry; Bottom row left to right: Arthur William Fletcher (cousin to source), T. William Ayerst, Roy Blackstock (only one still living 1977), B. Smith, C. Herbert Fisher, Herbert (Bert) G. Arnold. Music, IHS1750
40th Anniversary of Laura and Tom Mayes
Colour photograph taken at 'McKillicans' during what appears to be an event. The image shows five women situated indoors, around a table. [L-R] Mrs. Tom Graham (Bernice), Mrs. Bill Riley, Mrs. Sadie Walker (William), Mrs. Art. Kidd (Josena), Mrs. Ira Wilson (Gladys).
40th Wedding Anniversary of Edgar & Lois Sturgeon
Image taken at the 40th Wedding Anniversary of Edgar and Lois (Nee. Todd) Sturgeon. [L-R] Mrs. Margaret (Wilfred) Peacock, Edgar Sturgeon, Lois Sturgeon, Donald. Further information is available at the Knock Heritage Site, IHS1167
40th Wedding Anniversary of Torrance & Jean Black
Black and white photography taken at the fortieth wedding anniversary of Torrance and Jean Black. The couple can be seen standing behind a table which holds a tiered cake and candles. Torrance Black is wearing a suit with a flower attached to his jacket. Jean Black is wearing a floral dress and eyeglasses., IHS1271
41st Wedding Anniversary of Walter and Elizabeth Corner
Photo of Mr. and Mrs. Walter and Elizabeth (née Harding) Corner on their 41st Wedding Anniversary, surrounded by their family. They lived in the "Squire" Grose home on Church Street in Lefroy from 1920. The home was known as "The Pines." The Corners owned the house and 200 acres, which were part of a much larger property owned previously by Squire Grose. Pictured in the photo standing [From left to right] are: Emily, Joseph, Mary Ann, John, Dick, Walter, Roland, Elizabeth, Frank, and Dorothy. Seated in the front row are Mr. and Mrs. Corner. The picture was taken in the spring or summer months., IHS3542
50th Anniversary - Mr. & Mrs. R. Constable
50th Wedding Anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Russell Constable. The couple can be seen sitting indoors, both unwrapping a present that sits on their laps. Taken from page 86 of the Stroud Tweedsmuir History, Volume 11., IHS3382-91D
50th Anniversary Churchill Women's Institute
50th Anniversary of Churchill Women's Institute, photograph of members in 1953: Front row: left to right: Mrs. Robert Sinclair, Mrs. Norman King, Mrs. Ronald Allan, Mrs. Russell Stewart, Mrs. Joel Prosser, Mrs. Sydney Thomas, Mrs. Edward Sloan, Mrs. Bill Richardson, Mrs. Harvey Ralston Second row: Mrs. Chalmer Pratt, Mrs. Joseph Ferrier, Mrs. Charles Lucas, Mrs. Allan Todd, Mrs. Kenneth Sturgeon, Mrs. Arthur Watson, Mrs. Alick Saunter, Mrs. George Constable, Mrs. Reuben Lucas, Mrs. Edgar Sturgeon, Mrs. Harry Todd, Mrs. Robert King Third row: Mrs. Allen Baldwin, Mrs. Gregg Davis, Mrs. Cyril Spence, Mrs. Chris Burns, Mrs. Jack Constable, Mrs. Gordon Todd, Mrs. Mac Stewart, Mrs. Frank S. Kell, Mrs. Jack Reive, Mrs. Mac Constable, Mrs. Bill Kelly., IHS615
50th Wedding Anniversary - Mr. & Mrs. G. Gordon
50th Wedding Anniversary of Mrs. Birdie Gordon (Cross) and Mr. Garfield Gordon, held at Stroud Community Hall on February 26, 1966. Over 150 people attended. The couple can be seen standing behind a table that holds a decorated tiered cake. Newspaper article regarding the anniversary party is on file., IHS1566
5th Line School Tyrone - 1891
Image of the 5th Line School, located in Tyrone. The image shows the students posed outside of the school in smart clothing. The students are unknown except for Gertrude Reid (later Mrs. Ledgerwood of Taber, Alberta) sixth child from the left in the front row, and Florence Reed (later Mrs. David H. Ross of Cookstown) seventh child from the left in the front row., IHS4072
6 Church Street
Photograph from the early twentieth century of the home located at 6 Church Street in Cookstown. In 1912 the lot was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. William T. and Dinah Miners, who hired William Robinson, a local builder, to build the home that still stands today. It was bricked by Ed Burling and featured a furnace, hot water radiator heating, a pantry, three bedrooms, and a large front hall. The building is also unique in that it has verandahs running along the full width of the house on both the first and second storeys. The home was later sold to Mr. David Marwood and his wife Rebecca (née Mathewson). The home then passed to their son, Bert Marwood, until his death in 1969, when it was then sold to Clarence and Grace Kirby. The photo shows Mrs. Dinah Miners standing in front of the home wearing a long dark coloured dress and hat. A plank sidewalk is also visible running along the front yard. The bare tree in the foreground suggests the photo was taken in early spring or late autumn.
60Th Anniversary Of Mrs. and Mrs. Johnson Black
This photo was taken to commemorate the 60th wedding anniversary of Johnson Black and his wife Louisa (née Robins) who were married in 1871. The photograph was taken outside of St. James United Church in Stroud and shows Mrs. Black in a long-sleeved dark dress and Mr. Black in a dark suit holding his fedora. They are surrounded by several bouquets of flowers and appear to be standing directly in front the church's wall., IHS4291
60th Anniversary- Cookstown Women's Institute
Black and white photograph taken in 1961 during the sixtieth anniversary of the Cookstown Women's Institute. Two women stand in front of a decorated wall, with a sign indicating "60 Years", and the Cooktown Women's Institute emblem, with three maple leaves above. [L-R] S. Riley (President of Cookstown Women's Institute), H. Trotter (Secretary-Treasurer of Cookstown Women's Institute).
8 Church Street
Photo of the exterior of the home of William T. Miners and his wife Dinah, which later became the Presbyterian Manse in 1918 when it was purchased for $2,100. The Miners commissioned the home's construction by William Robinson, a well known local builder who also owned a saw mill, around 1911. It is located on 8 Church Street. The black and white photo shows a three-storey brick home with a small front porch and second floor balcony. The windows have dark decorative shutters and the roof is box gabled. A man in a black coat and hat stands on the balcony. The house also had a unique interior including a leaded glass window with a thistle, shamrock, and rose pattern in its frosted glass., IHS2714

Pages