Innisfil Historical Society



Pages

Bell Ewart - Big Cedar Point
This seems to be a proposed plan for Big Cedar Point by Big Cedar Park Co. Ltd. Ross Sheldon was one of the principals. But due to mysterious disappearance of funds the company collapsed. Bell Ewart Big Cedar Point, IHS3317
Bell Ewart 1957
Bell Ewart School pupils Front row: ____, Richard Strong, Steven Newlove, Jimmie Young, Richard McDowell, Jimmie Higginson, _____. Second Row: Gary Vickers, _____, Brenda Lewis, Brenda Switzer, Gaye Trombley, Sudan Philpott, _____, Judy Marinoff. Third row: Brian McDowell, Wilkie Swaine, ______,____ Vickers, Linda Fischer, Patsy Vickers, Cynthia Allan, Mary Vauture, Teacher: Norma Ferrier
Bell Ewart Baptist Church
Bell Ewart Baptist Church, a group from the congegation standing outside the Church. Left to right: Beth Chappell, ___, Mrs. Harry Chappell, Ada Quantz, ___, ___, standing in front are Ruth and Doris Forbes, Alma Quantz (now Ross), Robert Stewart, Miss Spurgeon, Minister, Mrs. Johnson, Connie (Wisker) Stewart, Frank Chappell, __McGill, Harry Forbes, Dick Forbes., IHS3825
Bell Ewart Catholic Church
Bell Ewart Catholic Church, it was replaced in 1962., IHS3661
Bell Ewart Park
Ice House Knickerbocker Ice Company, 1906, where Bell Ewart Park is now. The sides were put up then filled with ice straight from the Lake. Then the roof was put on. INDUSTRY - ICE, IHS61
Bell Ewart Public School
Bell Ewart Public School, 1900: Teacher: King Houston, (Father of Bea Houston) Back row: Fred Ferrier, Tessie Reid, (2 unknowns) Ada Whan, (Later Mrs. Quantz) remainder unknown. 2nd row: Alma and Mable Colgan, (2 unknown), Lib Reid, (Later Mrs. D. Jones), Vera Whan (Mrs. Burt Hulfish), Inez Whan, 3 unknown. Front row: (1 unknown), Fred Reid, Harry Farrier, (Others unknown)
Bell Ewart School
School Photo Front row: (L to R)Finlay MacKay, Frank Fishcher, Roy Bone, Cecil Forbes, Marion Tillett, Violet McKelvey, Ellen MacKay, Charlotte Gentleman, Adolphus Trombley. 2nd Row: Winnie Ruffett, Harold Ruffett, Eileen Whan, Jean MacKay, Harold Sheppard, George Reid, Rolly Pearce, Hilda Colgan, Minnie Bone, Sybil Willoughby, Lloyd McKelvey, Otto Fischer. In front of Hild Colgan is Wray Forbes and in front of Minnie Bone is Marjorie Mateer. 3rd row: Bert Ferrier, Bill Reid, Ethel Gregg, Phyllis MacKay, Winnie Fischer, Erie Whan, Margaret Gentlemen, Amelia Reid, Blanche Trobley, Miss Brooks (teacher) Phoebe Hardy, Ivy Fischer, Beryl Willoughby, Olive Gregg, Russell Wheeler.
Bell Ewart School
Grade 1, May 1, 1956 3rd row: David Cooke, Kenny Sturman, Jimmy Westbook, Jude Cooke, Elizabeth Hastings, Susan Ellsmere, Kenny Cote, Mary Webber. 2nd row: John David Ferrier, Richard Spencer, Anita Switzer, Susan Matteer, Linda English, Linda McDonald, Diane Prophet, Fay Steeves. Front row: Bruce Vickers, Richard Mcdowell, Maynard Lewis, Russell Dennis. Absent: Marion Hadley, Johnny Matter. Teacher: Joyce Morris (back)
Bell Ewart School - 1938
Bell Ewart School, Kathleen Houston, Teacher. Back row: Alfred Moore, Ernie Baxter, Ken Baxter, Gordon Ruffet, Barry Trombley, Burt Whan Second row: Lorne Baxter, Beth Chappel, Shirley Chappel, Mary Curtis, Juanita Mattier, Joyce Ferrier, Vera Forbes, Margaret Moore, Ronnie Trombley, Paul Trombley, Kathleen Houston, Teacher., IHS4045
Bell Ewart School 1957
Bell Ewart School Grade 8 Front row: (L to R) Everett Cook Jr., John Forbes, Stan Knicely, ________, Doug. Webber, Nick Juffermans, Eagle Ferrier, Gordon Young, _______, Second row: Jerry Miller, Susan Herrler, Sharon Herrler, Bernice Knicely, Marilyn Ferrier, Maureen Marinoff, ________, ______Mateer, Marlena Lambden, Margaret Vickers. Third row: _________. Charlie Webber, Billy Trombley, ________, _________, Lloyd Argue (teacher) __________. __________, Geraldine Hadley, Doreen Peacock.
Bell Ewart School 1961
Class photo in front of Bell Ewart School from 1961. Pictured from left to right, front row: Jimmie Young, Gary Vickers, Johnie Mateer, John Ferrier, Steven Newlove, and Wayne McDowell. Middle row: Brenda Switzer, Daryl Fuffett, Susan Philpott, Carol Diplock, Anita Switzer, Karen Romat, Mary Webber, and Mona Thompson. Back row: Lloyd Argue (teacher), Gaye Trombley, unknown, Mary Vauture, Linda Vickers, Paul Stong, John Romat, Randy Ralph, and Bruce Vickers.
Bell Ewart School Gr. 5 or 6
Class photo of Bell Ewart School for either grade 5 or 6. The photo shows three rows of students in front of the brick building of the school in 1966. Pictured from left to right, front row: John Hussey, Bob Moffatt, Seymour Mateer, Peter Shea, Sandy Philpott, Jimmie Ferrier, and unknown. Second row: Jill Higgins, Susan Ruffett, Marguerite Sheldon, Colleen Curtis, unknown, Jean Vauture, Elizabeth Lambden, and Fay Sturman. Third row: Robert Peacock, John Newlove, unknwon, Doug Newlove, unknown, Doug Knicely, Maurice Sturman, Paul Strong, Torrance Ferrier, and Daryl Marinoff. The teacher, pictured on the far right, is Grace Donnelly.
Bell Ewart, Goldie St.
View of residential Street (Goldie) at Bell Ewart Beach. Further information is available at the Knock Heritage Site, IHS4159
Bell From Stroud School, 1923-1975
Bell from Stroud School 1923 - 1975. From Stroud Tweedsmuir Histories, Vol. 5, IHS3385-13
Bell Telephone Archives
Mrs. Mary Stewart, daughter of J.F. Ardill, Lefroy's first telephone operator 1906 Telephone Bell Telephone Lefroy Stewart, Mary Clothes and costumes, IHS4006
Bell Telephone Company - Cookstown
Photo taken inside the Bell Telephone office in Cookstown of Madge Coleman and Evelyn Harman standing beside a large switchboard. The headset used by the operators is visible on Madge Coleman where it is resting on her shoulders. The telephone office in Cookstown was located for many years in Thomas Banting's jewellery store on Queen Street. The original office was first installed in 1886 in the implement office of C.J.S. Banting, and the first listing of subscribers from 1903 had ten names. Once the switchboard moved into Banting's jewellery store it offered service from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on weekdays and from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sundays. The connection to Cookstown was made possible by a long distance line having previously been installed between Barrie and Newmarket. The line extended to Cookstown also passed through Beeton, Alliston, and Bond Head. Telephone numbers were largely considered unnecessary as the operator was familiar with all the subscribers by name. Customers were on party lines, meaning numerous subscribers shared a single line and incoming calls differentiated who should answer by the number and style (long or short) of rings., IHS4009
Bell Telephone Construction Crew
Bell construction crew, Cookstown Clothing Bell Telephone Co. Cookstown, IHS4013
Bell Telephone Exchange Office
Photo of the Bell Telephone exchange office. This white frame building was built by the Bell Telephone Company on the west side of Dufferin St. in 1959. The complex exchange equipment had to be tailored to fit Cookstown’s specific needs. The dial changeover in Cookstown took place on Sunday morning July 17, 1960. This property was purchased from Mr. George Caldwell, a druggist in Barrie.
Bell Telephone Office
Bell Telephone Office in Cookstown, also home to Mr. and Mrs. Herb Harman.
Bell Telephone Operators
Sitting L to R: Elsie Fleming, Luella Donnelly, Eva Reid, Dorothy Jackson. Standing L to R: Georgina Payne, Stella allard, Betty Dales., IHS485
Bell-Golden Wedding Ann.
Golden Wedding Anniversary of Harold and Mabel Bell -with their descendants Front row: (l to r) Douglas Gilmore, Susan Gilmore, Mrs. Earle Gilmore, Mrs. Harold Bell, Mrs. "Bus" Culbert, Cheryl Culbert, Nancy Young, Bobby Young. Back Row: (l to r) Earle Gilmore, Harold Bell, Jim Culbert, Bus Culbert and Gordon Young. - - - - - - - - - - -daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Bell: Helen (Mrs. Earle Gilmore)of Lefroy and Lylia (Mrs. Bus Culbert) of Bradford, Ont. -Children of Helen: Susan and Douglas Gilmore -Children of Lylia: Nancy (Young), Jim Culbert and Cheryl Culbert. Further information is available at the Knock Heritage Site, IHS1076
Belle Ewart
Children at the Lake Shore, Bell Ewart Further information is available at the Knock Heritage Site, IHS3615
Belle Ewart Baptist Church
Belle Ewart Baptist Church on the left and Bell Ewart School (S.S. #5, Innisfil) on the right., IHS4041
Belle Ewart Ice Co.
Sybil Stansfield of Belle Ewart provided this photo of the ice house gang, taken in the mid-20th century to the Bradford Witness newspaper. The photo shows seven men, all dressed in overalls and hats, standing in front of a train car labelled Missouri Pacific. Two of the men are sitting back-to-back on a draft horse. In the photo are Bob Mullen on the far left with Clarence Dollar beside him. A young George Baxter is the fourth man on the left, and Jack Hardy is one of the men seated on the horse. The ice industry flourished on Lake Simcoe in the early to mid twentieth century, employing a number of men in both the winter and summer. Belle Ewart ice houses supplied much of southern Ontario with ice, but with the advent of electric refrigerators the industry gradually died out., IHS2339andIHS17
Belle Ewart Ice Company
Photo of the Belle Ewart Ice Company's ice house, with rail cars from the Grand Trunk and Canadian Northern rail lines visible along the load platform., IHS310
Belle Ewart Ice Company Employees
Belle Ewart Ice Company Employees - circa 1912: Back Row: left to right Anthony Bailey, Hugh Moore (Agnes Fischer's grandfather), Joe Tillett, unknown, John McKenzie, unknown, John Ferrier (Jack Ferrier's Father) Two Men on knees: unknown, Charles Mullet (Boss) Front Row: George Baxter, Charles Mullet, Jr., Unknown Mullett, Harry Ferrier. This photo was published in The Witness with the caption "... the Belle Ewart ice house crew, taken before the First World War. The men would have a tough time in this winter of 1980 because the relied totally on ice from Lake Simcoe. Right now there is none." INDUSTRY - ICE, IHS2460
Belle Ewart Ice Company Employees
Employees of the Belle Ewart Ice Co in work clothes. Pictured from left to right - Front Row: Jack Ferrier, S. Wheeler, Charlie Mullett, two unknown, Joe Tillett, and unknown. Back Row: George McKerveley, and two unknown. One of the unknown men in the back row is seated on a horse, and there is a white dog between Mr. Ferrier and Mr. Wheeler., IHS18
Belle Ewart Ice Company Exterior
Photo of the Belle Ewart Ice Company icehouse from the outside, with a number of employees and a fleet of horse-drawn wagons positioned in front of the building. Horses delivered ice by wagon to Toronto in the summer, and were used to pull machinery to cut the ice during the winter. Pictured from left to right, seated in the front row are: Bob Mullen, Clarence Dollan, Harry Fischer, George Baxter, and two unknown. The men standing in the back row are all unknown., IHS2339IHS17
Belle Ewart Ice Company Operation
Photograph depicting a number of workers floating ice blocks down a channel towards a conveyor constructed to transport the ice into a storage facility. The men used poles to help move the ice through the water and onto the conveyor. The side of the ice house is in full view, and a man directing a horse drawn sled is visible just in front of the building. Ice was stored year round and shipped locally as well as to Toronto and farther for use in home ice boxes., IHS316
Belle Ewart Ice Harvest
Photo of four employees of the Belle Ewart Ice Company taken during ice harvest season. They are standing directly in front of a train car, which would have been used to transport ice to surrounding areas. Pictured from left to right are: Charlie James, Elmo Quantz, Fred Jobbitt, and James Ferrier. The first three are dressed in overalls., IHS2884

Pages