Basic Image Collection



Pages

"Bird Haven"
Photo of Charles "Charlie" Keyworth Sutton's Bird Haven. Mr. Sutton, a cabinet maker born in Walkerton Ontario on 5 August 1896, along with his wife Victoria Sidle, purchased part of lot 16, concession 4 Innisfil from George and Marjorie Constable on 26 September 1934 for $150. The picture shows the main dwelling at "Bird Haven". This structure was rebuilt from the Zion Hall, which stood just south of Fennell's Corners on Highway 11. Around the perimeter of the property were tourist cabins, which were the forerunners of modern day motels. Mr. Sutton obtained logs for the cabins by walking over two miles to the swampy area of the seventh line. Here he cut all the cedar logs required to build the cabins and construct the furniture including beds, wash stands and bookcases. His wife made the quilts for the beds. Many American tourists, as well as Canadian, patronized both the tourist cabin business as well as buying bird houses, lawn furniture and lawn ornaments - all hand made by Mr. Sutton. In later years more buildings were added. Charles Sutton sold the land back to George Constable on 18 September 1951 and then moved to Newmarket where he operated a chicken farming/processing operation for a short time until he sold the business, moved to Toronto, and then to Colborne, Ontario where he died in 1974. The Bird Haven business was sold and operated under the name John Peel Inn, owned by a Mr. Cropley. In 1990 the property was in possession of the Hill family. Much of the preceding information was provided by Bill Warnica in June 2018., IHS3776
"Crooked House" in Holly
Photo of the "Crooked House" built by Mahlon Srigley (born 1808, died 1880) and his sons in the 1850s. Pictured is the front of the home featuring a covered verandah with eleven women, presumably family members, standing or seated on the verandah posed for the photo. Mahlon Srigley and his wife Sarah Merrick (born 1811, died 1880) were pioneers in Innisfil. They had 12 children, of whom four sons and five daughters lived to adulthood. They included: Robert (married Isabella Stephenson), Sarah Ann (married Ben Smith), Lemuel (married Mary Miller), Rachel (married John Mitchell), Wellington (married Jane McGill), Emma (married Frances Wice), John (married Fanny Stephenson), and Lizzie (married Reverend Dr. Charles Taylor). The Srigley family, known as Quaker loyalists, migrated to Canada in 1788 to Pelham Township, Niagara, from Bucks Co., Pennsylvania. The eldest son, Robert settled on a farm in Newmarket and the farm lane today is known as Srigley Street. The first church in Holly, a Methodist church, was built of logs in 1859 on South Half Lot 3, Concession 12, and was largely the work of Mahlon Srigley and his sons. Lemuel and John farmed all their lives at Holly (now a part of Barrie) and many descendants still live in the Innisfil and Barrie area., IHS2691
"Great Possessions" - A Religious Play
This photo was taken during a competition of religious plays sponsored by the Simcoe Presbytery. This play was entitled "Great Possessions," directed by Mrs. Herb Beelby and won second prize. Pictured from left to right - Front Row: Mrs. Keith Constable, Velma Hubbert, Glenn Cross, Hazel Booth, and Mrs. Herb Beelby. Back Row: Evelyn Martin, Don McNabb, Don Wice, Bill Gibbins, Morley Allen, John Martin, and Helen Cochrane., IHS1087
"Skunks And Scholars" Presentation
Photo of Don Beatty, left, presenting a copy of the Innisfil Historical Society's book "Skunks and Scholars" to Town Councillor Fisher, who accepted it on behalf of the Township of Innisfil. This presentation was made at the autograph party and launch of the book., IHS3681
"THE QUILTING PARTY" SKIT
Photograph taken of a skit at Beeton Annual entitled "The Quilting Party" by the Cookstown Women's Institute. Pictured from left to right - Back Row: Mrs. Josena Kidd, Mrs. Elsie Couse, Mrs. Elva Leadley, Mrs. Jessie Monkman, Mrs. Bernice Graham, and Mrs. Margaret Long. Front Row: Mrs. Mumberson, Mrs. Phyllis Jevons, and Mrs. Eva Patton.
127th Battalion in Training
Photo of the 127th Battalion in training in 1917 in vicinity of the Cookstown Fairgrounds. The image shows a number of men in military uniform crossing a field.
13A Huronia School
13A Huronia School, Huronia Road and the 10th Sideroad, Beth Bowman, Principal: Front row: Ken Morrow, Brian Bentley, Glen Crow, Joe__, Michal Newham, Henry Rumble, Paul Lackie, Gordon McKinnon, Larry Lloyd, Robert Mitchell Middle row: John Vieira, Mahlon Srigley, Ken Kroeker, Ken Smith, Georgina Noon, Rosemary Johnson, Elene Rodgers, Barbara Hoskin, Virginia Ortt, May Foster, Frances Belt, Elaine Rolfe, Sherry Campbell Third row: Ernest Amero, Lyn Smith, Dennis Corby, Fred Mason, Raymond Cromarty, Edward Irvine, Keith Chard, Karen Boyd, Joan Grozelle, Sharon Lewis., IHS4113
13A Huronia School - 1960
Teachers - from left: Joyce (Caldwell) Grant, Margaret (Goodfellow) Baker, Beth Bowman, Rose Lougheed, Sylvia Goodfellow (nee Kell)., IHS4115
13A Huronia School - 1963
Huronia School 13A, 10th sideroad and Huronia Road. Front row: Wayne New, David Warr, Paul Peterson, Victor D'Amici, Larry Robertson, Leo Koopman, Larry Rispler, David Rolfe, Bert Mitchell, John Lee, Barry Galloway, Dennis Scott Second row: Dianne Robertson, Dianne Potvin, Patty Cain, Joy Noon, Marie Vicira, Bonnie Dayholos, Patti O'Connor, Judy Boyd, Elverda Lillicrap, Eileen Downing, Dianne Emrick, Sharon Newton, Bonnie Reynolds Third row: Harry Vandam, Art Moore, Andy Bowie, Lee Gertsmar, Brian Leighton, Brian Srigley, Raymond Berdan, Ken Tomporowski, John (Chester) Ivanicki, Tom Green, Dennis Carter, Bill Gillis, Tom ___, Yvonne ____., IHS4114
13Th Line Bridge, Innisfil
New bridge being built, 13th Line of Innisfil (Painswick), IHS287
150 Year Old Elm Tree
150 year old elm tree being removed from in front of store so street could be paved and storm sewers installed in 1967. See Volume 2 for more information re: cutting down trees.
1876 Stone Barn
Stone barn over 100 years old (as of 1976). It was built by James Sloan, Mary Sloan's grandfather, before 1876. It used to have a loft for hay for a couple of cows and horses. It was turned into a garage and the loft was lowered. Agriculture buildings., IHS249
1897 Barn on the 8th Line
Photo from 1920 of one of the largest barns, in terms of square footage in Innisfil. Originally built in 1897 under the direction of owner William J. Goodfellow. It burned down on 4th January, 1982. The image shows the barn to the right, with a small outbuilding in the centre, and the farmhouse is mostly concealed by trees., IHS3337
1913 Ford
1913 Ford.
1914 Hard Ball Team
3rd Row: Pat Arnold, Frank Robinson, Jack Broley, Lou Stewart, Art Thompson 2nd Row: Lorne Neilly, Ace Stewart, Art Kidd 1st Row: Norris Hopper, Alvin Arnold, Appy Couse
1918 - Bethesda School
This Bethesda School was built in 1917. Front left to right: Irving Nelson, Alvin Smith, _____, _____, _____, tallest in back row is Jim Allen To the left (front) of Jim Allen, is Lula Hindle. Same row as Lula to the right - May Allen, Lorene Davidson and Eileen King Back row (left) head between two others, Alf Baxter., IHS2648
1919 - Curling Team with Trophy
Photo of the 1919 Curling team with either the District or Governor General Trophy. Pictured from left to right, back row: Oswald Black, Tom Hissock, Russell Webb, Arthur Green, and Dave McArthur. Front Row: Rev. William Clements, Robert Sutherland, and Benjamin Webb. The eight men are all dressed formally in suits with five standing in a row behind three seated men. Rev. Clements and Mr. Webb are each holding a broom, and the trophy is on the floor in front of Mr. Sutherland. Two rocks flank either side of the trophy., IHS1576
1947 South Simcoe League Champions
Cookstown Softball Club South Simcoe League Champions Copaco Trophy Finalists Back Row (Left to Right) A.H. Kidd, Mgr.; E. Carr, Coach and S.S.; J. Couse, L.F.; E.C. Neilly, President; L. Cobourn, 1st B; L. Hughes, 2nd B.; H. Couse, P; H. Coleman, Sec'y-Treas. Middle Row (Left to Right) G. Dawson, C.F.; D. Harvey, C.F.; J. Wilson, Utility; K. Beatty, R.F.; D. Monkman, S.S.; W. McKeown, 3rd B.; G. Martin, C; (Absent-J. Rivett). Front Row (Left to Right) Bill Lemmon, Alan Dawson; Bat Boys.
1977 Cwi President, Vp and Secretary
Women's Institute President Mrs. Anne Monkman and Vice President Mrs. Hazel Trotter, seated Mrs. Olive Parker, Secretary 1977.
1979 Christmas Party
Colour photo of a group of children in front of Santa Claus for a Christmas party in 1979 in Cookstown. The children are mostly dressed in outdoor winter clothing.
1979 Christmas Party
1979 Christmas Party.
1979 Innisfil Police Force
A 1979 Innisfil Police Force Left to Right Front row: Mel McKinnon, Kerry Emms, Gary Edwards, Roy Mullis, Allan Martin, Harold Srigley, Robt. Higgitt, Neil Sturgeon. Back row: Bryan Galloway, Steve Graham, Doug. Lougheed, Gary Vye, Larry Blackburn, Gary Stevens. B List of members of Innisfil Police Commission, Police Force and Dispatchers.
1979 Santa Claus Parade
1979 Santa Claus Parade.
1979 Santa Claus Parade
1979 Santa Claus Parade.
1982 Innisfil Historical Society Executive
Group photo taken of the 1982 Executive of the Innisfil Historical Society. The three men standing in the back row are Tom Arnett, President Ross Wallace, and Les Neale. The four women seated in the front row are Toni Beatty, Jean Saunter, Vera Neale, and Helen Wallace. The photo was taken in front of a blackboard., IHS3541B
1985 Santa Claus Parade
Photograph taken at the 1985 Santa Claus Parade. On the left of the image is a woman wearing a blue coat, tiara and sash that legible reads "COOKSTOWN". On the right of the image, is someone dressed as Santa Claus.
1986 Cookstown Fair
Colour photo taken at the 1986 Cookstown Fair of a group of men concentrating on the dedication ceremony of the Cookstown Fairgrounds' Judges stand to the Hon. Earl Rowe. The 1986 Cookstown Fair was also significant in that it was officially opened by Lieutenant Governor Lincoln Alexander. The men leaning on the hood of the green pickup truck are: [From left to right] unknown, Peter Staniforth, Hugh Burkitt, Ian Hattle, and unknown.
1987 Annual General Meeting - Innisfil Credit Union Ltd.
This photograph was taken at the 1987 Annual General Meeting. At this meeting a change of name was ratified by the members and the word "Farmers" was officially removed from Innisfil (Farmer's) Credit Union Ltd.. Don Beatty was the chairperson of the "Name Change" Committee. Standing, [left] Mervin B. Wice, [right] Lloyd Cumming, seated Edna Cumming. Past and present Treasurers of the Innisfil (Farmers') Credit Union Ltd., IHS3945
1990 Cookstown Fair
Image taken at the 1990 Cookstown Fair with six young children, all dressed in white, with their calves preparing to enter a competition. The children are no more than 10 years old and except for one brown calf, the calves are all black and white. The child on the far right is Max Lupo, and the calf next to him is name Dorris.
1990 Santa Claus Parade
1990 Santa Claus Parade, Cooktown. In this colour photograph there are two people standing in front of a float. The float is decorated as a house with Santa Claus on the roof, in his sleigh with reindeer. The person on the left of the image is a woman wearing what appears to be a grey and black cardigan. The person on the right of the image appears to be a male police officer in uniform.

Pages