Photograph showing a crowd of people waiting beside their cars at the Cookstown train station for their mail delivery. The cars appear to date from the 1940s or 1950s. Two tracks are visible passing directly in front of the station, and the train itself is stopped on the track farthest from the station. The station was originally built sometime around 1877 when the Hamilton & North-Western Railway was built from Hamilton to Allandale. The building was later absorbed into a semi-detached residence located on Wellington Street. Two passenger trains passed through Cookstown twice daily six days a week: once at 10:20 a.m. northbound to Meaford via Allandale, and a southbound train stopping in Cookstown at 5:02 p.m. Freight trains stopped once daily for grain or coal. The station closed in April 1967 as rail service declined in popularity.