Photo of the Cookstown Post Office sometime after its construction in 1960. It is a small brick building faced with several large windows and a Canadian flag hanging above the name "Cookstown Post Office." A small amount of snow is piled in front of and beside the building. Cookstown's first post office was opened in 1847, and mail was carried on foot twice weekly from Holland Landing. When the Northern Railway was constructed from Toronto to Allandal in 1854, the mail was brought to Lefroy by train and the postmaster would travel on horseback to pick it up. Daily mail service began when the North-Western Railway was built through Cookstown in 1877.