A Few of The Local Events of Interest in 1956. Looking back over Witness files for 1956 the following are some of the events noted. Jan 12. - Quality Food Store, Bradford, reopened following disastrous fire which gutted the store on Sunday, December 19, 1955. Jan. 11 - Brad. Walker of Bradford Sales and Service announced his purchase of the sales agency and service business of Tom Birrell and Sons Ltd. in Newmarket, with the new company combining the businesses in Bradford and Newmarket to be named Brad. Walker Motors Ltd. Jan 11 - The first home owners moved into the Thornton subdivision during the week, O.P.P. Newns and Mrs. Newns being the first residents. Jan 18. - The Chilli-Willi ladies' trio won top honours at the Junior Farmers' annual conference in Toronto. Jan 18 - The new Anglican rectory in Bradford was dedicated on this day by Venerable G.O. Lighbourn, M.A., D.D., Archdeacon of Simcoe. Jan 31 - The residents of the Holland Marsh reported a new of $8,837.57 on their drive for funds for York County hospital. Jan 26 - Harold and Fred Porritt of Gilford were both injured by a falling tree while they were working in the bush on this Thursday. Jan 25 - The Rotary Club of Bradford celebrated Robert Burns' birthday at a party in Riverview Inn. Feb 2 - The Bradford District High School was broken into and thirteen typewriters were stolen. These were recovered by police in Etobicoke. Feb 22 - The Bell Telephone Co. announce that 123 phones had been added in Bradford during 1955. Feb 22 - Glenn Boyd was elected president; Norman Porter, vice-president; Ken, Tupling, secretary; Lloyd King, treasurer, of the local Red Cross branch. Feb 29 - Canadian Bank of Commerce installed a 24-hour depository service. Feb 19 - Mrs. James Mills passed away in St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, in her 94th year. March 7 - Bradford Canadian Corps presented cheque for $2,800 to the Bradford District Memorial Community Centre Fund. March 28 - Trintiy Lutheran congregation purchased site on Melbourne Heights for their new church. A 4-H club for tractor maintenance was organized on the marsh. The Holland Marsh growers held their annual Education Days here which were reported to be bigger and better than ever before. April 11 - The old Bradford arena, owned by the municipality of Bradford, was sold by the municipality to Nick Goedhart for $800 with the agreement that the building be removed and the site cleaned up. Demolition began at once with site to be used for a much needed parking lot. The Simcoe Masonic Lodge held a banquet and ladies' night at Bond Head on April 7. Bradford Public Utilities, drilling for water ont he Riverview Inn property, struck a flowing well. April 18 - The polio vaccination program was announced for the district. A committee was appointed by Bradford Business Men's Association to investigate regarding the operation and possibilities of a Trade Fair, or an Agricultura and Trade Fair. April 25 - Daylight Savings Time announced to commence on Sunday April 29. A blitz for the purpose of raising $14,886.92 to complete the Bradford District Memorial Community Centre building was announced. May 2 - The collection blitz for the community centre was highly successful with $14,308.23 being collected on the first day, this assuring a mortgage free building. Thomas Batchelor, after 51 years of residence in Bradford, went to Newmarket to live with his daughter, Mrs. Banks. May 9 - Miss Isabel Jane Neilly, nursing sister with a distinguished record, and native of Gilford, passed away in Sunnybrook Hospital on Saturday May 5. Lake Simcoe established a long freeze-up record, being frozen over on December 20, 1955, and ice only beginning to move on April 23. May 16 - Bradford council ordered one hundred parking meters. Bradford organized a Home and School Association with Mrs. T. Clarke as president. Mr. D. Semple's resignation as postmaster took effect on May 15. Mr. Semple entered real estate. Mr. Ross E. Bell, for nine years assessor for West Gwillimbury, died suddenly at his home on May 7. Ma 23 - The contracts were awarded for two bridges on the marsh, one being the south bridge above the drainage canal on the third concession and the other on the Graham sideroad. A most successful spring music festival under the direction of Mr. Paul McKelvey, was held in Bond Head hall on May 18. Lorne E. Fines' jewllery store was broken into on the night of May 16-17 and more than thirty watches were stolen. May 30 - The unveiling of the memorial cairn to the memory of Professor W.H. Day was performed with suitable ceremony and attended by members of his family on Sunday May 27. Mr. C.E. Blosdale, Belle Telephone manager for this area, announced that, as a first step toward the installation of dial telephones, a modern dial telephone exchange would be built on Holland street west, with the changeover to the dial system to take place int he summer of 1957. June 12 - Ross Foster, 17, of Holland Landing was drowned int he Holland River near the bridge. June 20 - Lettuce cutting began on the marsh during the week. June 27 - Mr. Ralph Matthews suffered a heart seizure at Holland River Gardens plant shortly after arriving for the day's business and passed away within a few minutes. A new municipal building for King township was announced. The sale of shares for Bradford Curling rink almost assured at this date that the building could be erected.