Innisfil Historical Society



Pages

Bell Ewart, Goldie St.
View of residential Street (Goldie) at Bell Ewart Beach. Further information is available at the Knock Heritage Site, IHS4159
Bell From Stroud School, 1923-1975
Bell from Stroud School 1923 - 1975. From Stroud Tweedsmuir Histories, Vol. 5, IHS3385-13
Bell Telephone Archives
Mrs. Mary Stewart, daughter of J.F. Ardill, Lefroy's first telephone operator 1906 Telephone Bell Telephone Lefroy Stewart, Mary Clothes and costumes, IHS4006
Bell Telephone Company - Cookstown
Photo taken inside the Bell Telephone office in Cookstown of Madge Coleman and Evelyn Harman standing beside a large switchboard. The headset used by the operators is visible on Madge Coleman where it is resting on her shoulders. The telephone office in Cookstown was located for many years in Thomas Banting's jewellery store on Queen Street. The original office was first installed in 1886 in the implement office of C.J.S. Banting, and the first listing of subscribers from 1903 had ten names. Once the switchboard moved into Banting's jewellery store it offered service from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on weekdays and from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sundays. The connection to Cookstown was made possible by a long distance line having previously been installed between Barrie and Newmarket. The line extended to Cookstown also passed through Beeton, Alliston, and Bond Head. Telephone numbers were largely considered unnecessary as the operator was familiar with all the subscribers by name. Customers were on party lines, meaning numerous subscribers shared a single line and incoming calls differentiated who should answer by the number and style (long or short) of rings., IHS4009
Bell Telephone Construction Crew
Bell construction crew, Cookstown Clothing Bell Telephone Co. Cookstown, IHS4013
Bell Telephone Exchange Office
Photo of the Bell Telephone exchange office. This white frame building was built by the Bell Telephone Company on the west side of Dufferin St. in 1959. The complex exchange equipment had to be tailored to fit Cookstown’s specific needs. The dial changeover in Cookstown took place on Sunday morning July 17, 1960. This property was purchased from Mr. George Caldwell, a druggist in Barrie.
Bell Telephone Office
Bell Telephone Office in Cookstown, also home to Mr. and Mrs. Herb Harman.
Bell Telephone Operators
Sitting L to R: Elsie Fleming, Luella Donnelly, Eva Reid, Dorothy Jackson. Standing L to R: Georgina Payne, Stella allard, Betty Dales., IHS485
Bell-Golden Wedding Ann.
Golden Wedding Anniversary of Harold and Mabel Bell -with their descendants Front row: (l to r) Douglas Gilmore, Susan Gilmore, Mrs. Earle Gilmore, Mrs. Harold Bell, Mrs. "Bus" Culbert, Cheryl Culbert, Nancy Young, Bobby Young. Back Row: (l to r) Earle Gilmore, Harold Bell, Jim Culbert, Bus Culbert and Gordon Young. - - - - - - - - - - -daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Bell: Helen (Mrs. Earle Gilmore)of Lefroy and Lylia (Mrs. Bus Culbert) of Bradford, Ont. -Children of Helen: Susan and Douglas Gilmore -Children of Lylia: Nancy (Young), Jim Culbert and Cheryl Culbert. Further information is available at the Knock Heritage Site, IHS1076
Belle Ewart
Children at the Lake Shore, Bell Ewart Further information is available at the Knock Heritage Site, IHS3615
Belle Ewart Baptist Church
Belle Ewart Baptist Church on the left and Bell Ewart School (S.S. #5, Innisfil) on the right., IHS4041
Belle Ewart Ice Co.
Sybil Stansfield of Belle Ewart provided this photo of the ice house gang, taken in the mid-20th century to the Bradford Witness newspaper. The photo shows seven men, all dressed in overalls and hats, standing in front of a train car labelled Missouri Pacific. Two of the men are sitting back-to-back on a draft horse. In the photo are Bob Mullen on the far left with Clarence Dollar beside him. A young George Baxter is the fourth man on the left, and Jack Hardy is one of the men seated on the horse. The ice industry flourished on Lake Simcoe in the early to mid twentieth century, employing a number of men in both the winter and summer. Belle Ewart ice houses supplied much of southern Ontario with ice, but with the advent of electric refrigerators the industry gradually died out., IHS2339andIHS17
Belle Ewart Ice Company
Photo of the Belle Ewart Ice Company's ice house, with rail cars from the Grand Trunk and Canadian Northern rail lines visible along the load platform., IHS310
Belle Ewart Ice Company Employees
Employees of the Belle Ewart Ice Co in work clothes. Pictured from left to right - Front Row: Jack Ferrier, S. Wheeler, Charlie Mullett, two unknown, Joe Tillett, and unknown. Back Row: George McKerveley, and two unknown. One of the unknown men in the back row is seated on a horse, and there is a white dog between Mr. Ferrier and Mr. Wheeler., IHS18
Belle Ewart Ice Company Employees
Belle Ewart Ice Company Employees - circa 1912: Back Row: left to right Anthony Bailey, Hugh Moore (Agnes Fischer's grandfather), Joe Tillett, unknown, John McKenzie, unknown, John Ferrier (Jack Ferrier's Father) Two Men on knees: unknown, Charles Mullet (Boss) Front Row: George Baxter, Charles Mullet, Jr., Unknown Mullett, Harry Ferrier. This photo was published in The Witness with the caption "... the Belle Ewart ice house crew, taken before the First World War. The men would have a tough time in this winter of 1980 because the relied totally on ice from Lake Simcoe. Right now there is none." INDUSTRY - ICE, IHS2460
Belle Ewart Ice Company Exterior
Photo of the Belle Ewart Ice Company icehouse from the outside, with a number of employees and a fleet of horse-drawn wagons positioned in front of the building. Horses delivered ice by wagon to Toronto in the summer, and were used to pull machinery to cut the ice during the winter. Pictured from left to right, seated in the front row are: Bob Mullen, Clarence Dollan, Harry Fischer, George Baxter, and two unknown. The men standing in the back row are all unknown., IHS2339IHS17
Belle Ewart Ice Company Operation
Photograph depicting a number of workers floating ice blocks down a channel towards a conveyor constructed to transport the ice into a storage facility. The men used poles to help move the ice through the water and onto the conveyor. The side of the ice house is in full view, and a man directing a horse drawn sled is visible just in front of the building. Ice was stored year round and shipped locally as well as to Toronto and farther for use in home ice boxes., IHS316
Belle Ewart Ice Harvest
Photo of four employees of the Belle Ewart Ice Company taken during ice harvest season. They are standing directly in front of a train car, which would have been used to transport ice to surrounding areas. Pictured from left to right are: Charlie James, Elmo Quantz, Fred Jobbitt, and James Ferrier. The first three are dressed in overalls., IHS2884
Belle Ewart Ice House Workers
Photo of a group of Belle Ewart Ice House workers seated on some scaffolding with another on a horse directly in front of them. Pictured from left to right - Back Row: C. Mullett, Scotty McKenzie, Harry Porter, George Baxter, unknown, H. Ferrier, and unknown. Front Row: three unknown, John Ferrier, unknown, with a Mullett son on the horse., IHS29
Belle Ewart Ice Loader
Photo of the mechanized ice loader and conveyor used by the Belle Ewart Ice Company to transport large blocks of ice from Lake Simcoe into ice houses for storage or directly onto train cars for shipping. The photo shows two large side-by-side structures with numerous men visible at the base of the conveyors, directing the ice blocks with long poles, as well as a man at the top of each structure to help reposition blocks that may have shifted on their way up. The Belle Ewart Ice Company was the first of three large companies that used Lake Simcoe to supply ice to homes throughout Ontario and some of the northern United States., IHS60
Belle Ewart Public School - 1926 - 1975
Belle Ewart Public School - S.S. #5. The school was built in 1926, the addition was 1952, it was closed in 1975. See, IHS3509andIHS3510
Belle Ewart Public School - S.S. #5
Belle Ewart Public School - S.S. #5, 1926, addition 1952. It was closed in 1975 on the opening of the Killarney Beach School. Presently it is the property of Branch 547 of the Royal Canadian Legion. The right hand side was the old school in 1926. The left side is the two room addition. Due to a sudden influx of students, the Belle Ewart School Board who had not joined the School Area Board #1, had to provide a fourth classroom in the Baptist Church. The next year this idea was abandoned and a two roomed school opened in the Community Hall, for a total of five classrooms. After the passing of Provincial Legislation making a Township the smallest unit of administration in 1965, Belle Ewart became part of the area board., IHS3509
Belle Ewart Shoreline
Aerial view of Belle Ewart and its shoreline on Lake Simcoe, looking north from the ice house. A number of houses are visible behind the trees along the shore., IHS2141
Belle Ewart Station Master'S House
The former home of the Belle Ewart Station Master for the Ontario, Simcoe, and Huron Railroad. It later became the home of Jean Crosby located on Arnold Street, near Goldie. According to D.M. Lemmon of Shanty Bay, it was once further south and nearer to the railway track, which no longer exists., IHS423
Ben Morris At The Barber Shop Of His Father Benson Morris
Ben Morris at the barber shop of his father Benson Morris in Lefroy, IHS 4396
Benjamin F. Quantz Family
Benjamin Franklin Quantz (front left), born August 16, 1854, died May 19, 1935. Mr. Quantz arrived in Innisfil in 1868, N 1/2 Lot 12, Con. 10. His wife Adeline Elizabeth Marsh, (front right), daughter of Judge and Mrs. Robert Marsh of Richmond Hill, born November 24, 1977, died December 21, 1928. Standing are their daughter Adelene and son Cuthbert (Bert)., IHS3940
Benjamin Franklin Quantz
Benjamin Franklin Quantz, August 16, 1854 - May 10, 1935. Born on Lot 13, Conc. 2, Markham Township. Farmed on the North Half of Lot 12, Conc. 10 from (circa) December 1879. Married Adalene Marsh, January 14, 1856 - December 21, 1928. He was the son of George Arthur Quantz and Margaret Linklater., IHS3043
Benjamin and Annie Webb
Mr. Benjamin and second wife Annie Morrison. First wife Annie Amelia Black died in 1918. Children were Arthur, Herbert, Oswald, Annie, Alvin, Edgar, Morley, Lloyd. Some of this information was taken out of the daily Journal. Webb, Mrs. Benjamin Webb, Annie Webb, Annie Morrison Costumes and clothing, IHS1574
Bennett'S Beach
Photo of Bennett's Beach on Lake Simcoe. The photo shows a low rock wall built along the shoreline to protect the cottages that are near the shore and just visible in the background. There are a number of trees behind the wall hanging out over the water., IHS466
Bert And Ev. Coleman
Bert and Ev. Coleman at work - inside the post office.

Pages